Frequently Asked Questions

ID-10098216I am the victim of a crime, what can I do?
Thanks to, among other reasons, the efforts of our fine men and women in the various police departments, Aruba is one of the safest countries in the Caribbean. Crime rates are low, but unfortunately, crime is an unavoidably part of any society. If you find yourself victimized by a crime, contact the nearest police station at one of these addresses.

Oranjestad – District 1 Noord – District 2
Wilhelminastraat 40 Shaba 58
Tel. 582-4000 Tel. 587-0009
San Nicolas – District 3 Santa Cruz – District 4
Bernhardstraat 144 Macuarima 65
Tel. 584-5000 Tel. 527-2900

There, you can report your complaint and leave your contact information. If you are a visitor, be sure to leave your home address and phone number as well, so that you may be reached after you return home. As a victim, you have the right to file for damages in a civil suit or join the public prosecutor’s case and file for criminal damages (up to AFL 50,000.-). You will be informed of the possibility to join the public prosecutor’s case at the address you have indicated in the police report.

Important: If you find yourself in an emergency situation, immediately contact our emergency responders by dialing 911.

I am suspected of having committed a crime, what are my rights?

Every person on the island is subject to the laws of Aruba, regardless of whether they are a visitor or a resident. This means that you could become a suspect of certain activities that are legal in your home country, but which are illegal in Aruba. If you are not a resident, your local embassy or consulate may provide you with assistance and advice in the event that you become a suspect in a criminal investigation.
As a suspect, you are entitled to (among others) the following important rights:

– The right to remain silent. You may keep silent at all times and you may not  be forced to cooperate in your own conviction.
– The right to legal assistance. You have the right to consult with an attorney prior to your first interrogation. If you cannot afford an attorney, you have the right to have one appointed to you.
– The right to an interpreter. You have the right to have the charges against you explained in a language you understand.
– The right to have the grounds for your detention examined by an investigative judge. As a suspect, you may be held for questioning and taken into custody. If this custody lasts longer than 3 days and 6 hours, you have the right to a hearing.
– The right to examine your file. This right may be limited under certain circumstances.

I have been convicted of a crime, what can I do?
If you are convicted of a crime, you have a number of rights, which you should discuss with your attorney. The following is a brief overview of some of these rights:

– The right to Appeal to the Joint Court of Justice. You may want to file an appeal to have your case re-examined by a higher court. In Aruba, this higher court is the Joint Court of Justice of Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten and of Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba.
– The right to detention under humane circumstances. If you are sentenced to prison, you will serve your time at the Aruban Correctional Institute (“Korrectie Instituut Aruba” or “KIA”). Aruba is subject to various conventions of the Council of Europe and as such, it has to ensure the rights of detainees contained in these conventions. These include the right to visitors, medical attention, correspondence and recreation. Please consult the Council of Europe’s website for more information.
– The right to file for a transfer to your home country. The Kingdom of the Netherlands has entered into a number of treaties with other countries agreeing to the mutual transfer of prisoners. If you are sentenced to prison, you may want to spend your prison time in your home country, where you can be visited by your friends and family. Such requests may be addressed to the Public Prosecutor’s office and are best discussed with your attorney.

I have been fined by the police, how do I pay this fine?
If you are fined by the police, you should come to the Public Prosecutor’s office, located at Rumbastraat 29 on Mondays through Thursdays, during the hours of 8am to 11.30am and 1pm to 3.30pm to pay your fine. Failure to do so will result in a case before the court of first instance, which can result in an even higher fine, which in turn can be converted into a prison sentence if it remains unpaid past the final deadline.

I applied for a job and now I need a certificate of good conduct, what is that and how do I apply for one?
A certificate of good conduct is a document that is issued by the Public Prosecutor’s office, which states that you do not have a criminal record that suggests you are unsuitable for the position for which you are applying. Requests for these certificates can be filed at the Public Prosecutor’s Office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Be sure to bring an excerpt from the Civil Registry (‘papel di 5 florin’) and 40 florins.